Michael Prior-Jones (known as Mike these days) joined YSTV in his first week at York in October 1999, having previously spent a gap year at BBC Research & Development. He studied for an MEng in Electronic Engineering and spent a lot of time doing YSTV stuff, as well as being involved in a less life-taking-over way with URY and Gilbert & Sullivan Society.
On graduating from York in June 2003 he worked for BBC R&D until June 2005, when he took a job with the British Antarctic Survey as Communications Manager at Rothera Research Station. He spent 18 months at Rothera and filmed an Antarctic station ident with a penguin and various other footage which Mark Friend edited into VTs for Limited Edition.
During the time he was in YSTV he was
- Station Engineer (from Nov 99 - May 00)
- Technical Director (May 00 - May 01)
- the first ever Commercial Director (May 01 - May 02)
- Studio Manager (May 02 - May 03)
- Training Manager
Mike's YSTV CV:
- Wrote the front-end control for Matt Hammond's computer graphics system for Elections 2000
- Bought the Audio-Technica AT835b shotgun microphone (and associated Rycote shockmount and windshield) - the mic was seen in use in the studio at YSTV 50 some 17 years later!
- Bought the Behringer sound desk that was installed in 2001
- Produced and presented WoodenSpoon
- Produced and presented Red Braces
- Produced series 3 of Games Disaster
- Produced one version of the STV VT
- Produced SU Elections 2001 with Jenny Gordon
Society and studio admin
- Drafted the 2001 constitution
- Wrote all the risk assessments following a threat by the Goodricke Bursar to shut us down for various perceived safety failings. With a few revisions they are still in use today (and still on the same template!)